Friday, July 24, 2009

Southern Hospitality

There is something to be said for "Southern Hospitality." This first week in a new job, though overwhelming and stressful, was filled with meeting the most gracious and welcoming folk i've ever come across. All the gentleman opened my car doors and pulled out chairs. I was called "Mam" by just about everyone I came across...that or Ms. Erin. When ordering at restaurants, I felt like such a VIP because all the servers bent over backwards to make sure we were happy and liked what we ordered...and this was at SHONEY's!

My supervisor had arranged that I meet with someone or tour something almost every hour of my first week! I met the athletics department, student activities, graduate studies, law school, the veterinary school, the medical school, the nursing school....you name it..i did it this week.

I also learned that there is a new phrase in the English language called "You'n" as in "Have You'ns been here before?" I also decided that I from here on out need to stop judging southern accents. Just because they speak with a slow drawl...it means nothing of their intelligence. Prac]tically all the Ph.D's and physicans I met this week sound like good ole' country boys, and im' pretty sure they did better on their SAT's than I did.

1 comment:

  1. Erin, do they say "might should" or "might could" there? Example:
    Erin: "Danielle, Are you hungry?"
    Me: "I might could eat. Would you fix me something?"

    Or something like that... :O) I actually love and miss the southern accent. I fell in love with the South when my sister Brianne went to college in Charleston and we visited her friend's family in Columbia, SC many times.

    Hope to visit you guys someday too! Keep the stories coming!

    ReplyDelete