Thursday, January 14, 2010

Plug it.



Dylan (10 months) in the airport before moving to TN

Operation "Binky Wean" is upon us.

We WERE doing sooooo well in the effort to transfer attachment from "Da Da" ( what Dylan calls his Binky) to his blue blanket. He takes his blue blanket and smooshes it in his face, puts it over his head, rubs it on his cheeks.  I'm hoping Blue Blanket becomes Dylan's  "twizzle" ( for those of you who know what that is.) Since 10 months we've been down to just nap time and bed time for binky..it barely leaves his bed.

But, now that Dylan is SMARTER....he has learned to manipulate his teachers at "Jesus Care."

"Da-Da" sits in a clear cubby at school and he constantly askes them for it and they always give it to him. I show up at the end of the day and he is happy as a clam with his "Da-Da" in his mouth.

He give me a look that says, "See what I can get away with when you are away working?"

And my working mom guilt grows.

We've put it off and put it off. Partly, because i sucked my two fingers until I was TWELVE so i know better than most people how important that comfort feels. As a breastfed baby, part of introducing the Binky to begin with was to be able to wean him from the sucking comfort more easily...you can't take away fingers.

So today we laid down the law at Jesus Care. No binky at all except at nap time.

Even if he begs.

Even if he cries.

We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. 1. TWIZZLE! Oh, the memories!

    2. Working mom's guilt~ I know all about it! Ella pulled herself to standing yesterday and I missed it! In fact, on weekdays I spend more time with OTHER people's kids than my own! Something is wrong with that.

    3. You have a smart little man on your hands. It would be so hard to say no to that cute face.

    ReplyDelete