Wednesday, January 20, 2010

REAR-EY?



When I was a car-seat occupier myself, my mom had the ability to strap me in the front-seat rear-facing and we could interact until our hearts content on her hour ride to and from work each day.

I'm sure it was quite the advantage to be able to see what I was doing, comfort me if I was crying and even give me a bottle if my pudgy belly required it!

Today's little bundles of joy have to be rear facing in the back seat until 2 ( according to the new American Academy of Pediartrics guidelines).

So all of our interacting has to be via car-seat mirror.

Which makes for some interesting and humorous antics as we try to read to him by doing contortionist movements to see the words, our have Dylan follow our hand movents for "Itsy Bitsy Spider" or "Wheels on the Bus".

And don't even talk to me about when he drops a book he's reading, a snack that was occupying his time or his straw cup. This requires full butt in the air back-seat diving while your spouse precarioiusly navigates the twisty turny roads of rural TN.

And since everything around here is an HOUR away....it makes it tough to comfort an antsy toddler in the backseat.

We're sort of reduced to head rubbing, which doesn't encourage hair growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment