Monday, February 22, 2010
Required High School Reading.
So everyone that knows me IRL knows that i'm obsessed with Reality TV.
And while I can go on 4-EVA about the virtues of studying the human psyche this way...you probably wouldn't believe me and think I merely enjoy watching people make fools out of themselves on the Tee Vee.
So that's why I'm putting myself in this challenge.
In the next 365 days I will attempt to read one thing from each genre from the Philips Exeter English Department Suggested Reading List. It includes Poetry, Theater, Non-fiction and Fiction.
It's what you find when you google "Required Reading and top high schools"
I pretty much always read what was assigned to me in high school but i don't think that I TRULY understood what I was reading. Plus, between hormones, basketball practice and the new BFF fight of the week... I don't think Animal Farm really came through the way it would now. I know that when I re-read The Great Gatsby last summer, it felt like an entirely new experience.
On a side note I just watched Julie & Julia and it inspired me to do something extra with my life and time (and i mean just the part of the day that I'm not playing mommy, wife and director of development)
It's going to challenge my mind and time management because I'm not giving up the Bachelor OR Survivor OR any of the housewife franchisees.
Here is the LIST
First up is going to be a selection of POETRY:
"A Boy's Will" by Robert Frost.
I'll give my book report soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Does this mean you finished The Help? Did you love, love, love it??? Another recommendation you can put in between your poetry, theatre, etc. is "The Kids are Alright" by Diana, Liz, Dan and Amanda Welch. Google it.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your book recommendations!!! It's going on my nightstand.
ReplyDeleteSmarty pants.
ReplyDeleteA) LOVE the picture
ReplyDeleteB) You are inspiring me to do the same, at least with the short stories and novels
C) I feel quite stupid as to how many books on the list I have never heard of
D) I cannot believe that A Tree Grows in Brooklyn didn't make the list!! I beg you to add it to yours...