Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Book Report: Love and a Question

I give up on reading poetry....A Boy's Will by Robert Frost was fun to read for 5 minutes.

But then it became...work. No, not work...SCHOOL.

I have a theory that poetry is more fun to WRITE than to read. Because frankly it just means more to the writer than the reader.

I can appreciate poems. I can certainly understand why in the days before "You Tube" clips they were entertaining fodder for the brain...but alas...I can't seem to get into them.

My favorite poem out of the ones I actually did read was:  

Love and a Question:


A stranger came to the door at eve,
And he spoke the bridegroom fair.
He bore a green-white stick in his hand,
And, for all burden, care.
He asked with the eyes more than the lips
For a shelter for the night,
And he turned and looked at the road afar
Without a window light.

The bridegroom came forth into the porch
With, 'Let us look at the sky,
And question what of the night to be,
Stranger, you and I.'
The woodbine leaves littered the yard,
The woodbine berries were blue,
Autumn, yes, winter was in the wind;
'Stranger, I wish I knew.'

Within, the bride in the dusk alone
Bent over the open fire,
Her face rose-red with the glowing coal
And the thought of the heart's desire.

The bridegroom looked at the weary road,
Yet saw but her within,
And wished her heart in a case of gold
And pinned with a silver pin.

The bridegroom thought it little to give
A dole of bread, a purse,
A heartfelt prayer for the poor of God,
Or for the rich a curse;

But whether or not a man was asked
To mar the love of two
By harboring woe in the bridal house,
The bridegroom wished he knew.

My interpretation is this.  

The groom is torn between wanting to help a stranger and letting the handsome stranger in where his bride to be is waiting. What if she desires the stranger? If only he could box her love and desire for himself up...he could be sure that the stranger wouldn't interfere.

See..it's like school.

2 comments:

  1. And you kind of have to be in the mood for school. I totally get it.

    Good effort though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference between you and me is the fact that I would not even attempt to read a book like that! I give you an A for effort and I assign grades for a living!

    To be honest with you, I could not even get through your favorite poem.

    I just read an awesome Young Adult book, THE HUNGER GAMES. You should read it; I bet you'd finish it in 2 days.

    ReplyDelete