Dylan has never tasted formula.
For some strange nonsensical reason...
i'm proud of that fact.
It means i was a lean, mean, milking machine.
It means that all the hours
of clogged ducts,
painful feedings,
endless pumping,
and alcohol abstinence
meant something.
There's nothing wrong with formula,
It nourishes a growing baby all the same.
But when you breastfeed it sort of becomes this battle.
Because breastfeeding ( at first)
Is HARD.
You WANT to give up.
You want to say "I just didn't produce enough"
You want to put the baby down,
for 2 seconds.
You want to let your husband feed the baby
for once.
You want to have your body back.
You want to wear silk blouses and
Victoria secret bras.
But the battle rages in your head...
Nature-made vs. Man-man
Breastmilk vs. Formula.
But then you're alone in the wee hours
nursing your baby.
Something only YOU can do.
You feel like a Super Hero.
That's why its funny to realize that after all that worry..
all that "breast milk is best" debate...
your toddler begins drinking
milk
from an ANIMAL.


I'm like you....I never gave Sarah formula.
ReplyDeleteI loved, loved, LOVED nursing!! It made Sarah and I bond. There was nothing better than looking down at her while she nursed and watching her be nourished.
No bottle washing, no getting up in the middle of the night bottle making...it was so perfect!
What a beautiful picture! And a poem that I can totally relate to...
ReplyDelete