Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Pox

SO. I'm not a hippy mom.

Nor, am i a yuppy mom.

I consider myself a middle of the road, well-read, natural favoring mom.

We vaccinate, but, we do so having read the research. We refused the hep b at the hospital. We delayed the MMR by a year. But at the end of the day. Our child is fully vaccinated against the evil viruses of the world.

Some constraints negate our natural inclination to delay shots. Like...day care. You can't have your child in a licenced daycare without vaccinations. A battle we fight because we delayed certain shots.

One particular shot we DID NOT delay was the chicken pox vax. I know the whole "But we had it" argument seems legit but our Pedi ( whom we love) layed out the facts and we decided to get it on time.

Anywhoo.

A month ago dylan was exposed to shingles. "No biggie": said the nurse on duty when I called. "he's been vaccinated".

Then I gave out a big mommy sigh..."Phew"

A week and a half ago...dylan had a flesh colored bump on his belly.

It stood out b/c, well, his belly is his biggest asset.

There was a bunch of "no big deals" and "it's nothing" flying around... but the bump bothered me. Why should my baby have a random bump on his belly?

Over the last week the bumps have been getting bigger and the area the cover longer. Straight up his belly.

So yesterday I took him to the Pedi and dylan dutifully picked up his shirt and showed the doc his "boo boo" on his belly.

And the first thing out of his mouth was...

"Has he been exposed to anyone with Shingles".

So much for the vaccine.

No comments:

Post a Comment