In my youth I would have considered myself...adventuress.
I moved to Europe with my best friend and worked in a big city at a big television station and didn't even bat an eyelash. I traveled through foreign countries and met mysterious wonder-ours strangers and figured out all that confusing currency (before the Euro) without even stumbling. I lived on $50 US dollars every TWO WEEKS. I got lost every night trying to figure out the bus system. I spoke french, Italian, and Gaelic...in my head...(i never did learn any languages. )
And at the end of the adventure I had to leave all my clothes on the steps of a church to make room in my luggage for treasures I found along the way.
I had BIG adventures. Huge. Life altering.
These days, my adventures are small.
They consist of plotting how to get through the grocery store around dinner time with a tired, hungry, toddler without having a public tantrum or knocking down the cart full of watermelons.
Or figuring out how to minimize work commitments and maximize Dylan time
And this week, how do i plan our trip to the Zoo during a "Test Weekend" without missing a nap.
This past weekend we taught dylan how to roll down a hill.
You know, the way you did when you were a kid, getting dizzy and grass stained and landing at the bottom staring at the blue sky.
It was deliriously fun and even felt a tiny bit adventuress.
But even though these adventures are small, they are equally as important.
Successfully completing a grocery store run is exhilarating!
Rolling down a hill with my family is superbly memorable.
And I guess it reminds me that life is about the big AND the small adventures...all rolled into one.
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


well said...
ReplyDeletethis post I identify with more than you can imagine.