Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Disconnected


Last Sunday,  I broke my phone by puttting it in my back pocket and sliding down a slide.

The sheer weight of my bum splintered the screen. So, there ya go. A reason to diet.

But being phone-less, while you would think it would be liberating, was, in fact.... nerve wracking.

Especially since yesterday I had to drive to the big city an hour and a half away to a destination unknown to me, and all the while wondering what would happen if I got a flat tire, or got lost, or got in an accident, or something happenend with Dylan.

I mean do they even HAVE pay phones?

I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was living dangerously!!!

And when you DON'T have a phone..you really notice how much people are ON their phones.

Every person I had a conversation with, invariably pulled out there phone to check an email, tweet or text.

I just looked at them and smiled...thinking...man, the world has changed.

I hadn't noticed how much we live in two worlds. The world around us..and the world on the inter-web. We pay more attention to the people that ARE NOT in front of us, than the people who we could readily have a conversation with.

But then my phone arrived last night in the mail and ----------wait a minute, i have a text.

1 comment:

  1. There have been a few times when I've accidentally left my phone at home for the day. I know I felt completly out of touch. I can't imagine how bad a week was. Congrats on your new phone!

    ReplyDelete