Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"I don't think so."


Tonight, my belly bulging, we finally shared the news with  Dylan that a baby brother or sister was on the way.

When I thought about how I would explain this to my not even 2.5 year old, I guess I just thought he wouldn't "get it". That just telling him was enough. That the baby would be this sort of "after thought" until we had something to show for it.

But he totally surprised me.

I had him think back to all the pictures of my big pregnant belly when he was inside mommy. And we told him there was a NEW baby in Mommy. And that she/he would come out to meet Dylan when they grew big enough.

He stared at me the entire time. Eyes wide. Completely comprehending.

"In your belly?" 

"Can I go in there?"

We explained that he was a big boy now and didn't need to be in Mommy's belly.

"I don't see the baby?!"

We explained that he couldn't see the baby until he was big enough to come out. But that we could take pictures and show him.

My husband cautiously asked Dylan what he thought about becoming a Big Brother.

"Um...I don't think so." 


"Not now. Maybe later."

We explained that it wouldn't be until Summertime... when it was warm out.


"Does he have a door-knob in there?"

That one threw us for a loop.

2 comments:

  1. Not now. Maybe later!! Hahahaha I love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you have a deep-thinker on your hands! He is so smart.... Seriously, a door-knob would be a much easier way of exiting one's belly.

    ReplyDelete