Thursday, August 4, 2011

Growing Pains

Remember when you were little and you'd get those pains in your knees during a growth spurt?

That achy feeling was a side effect of something good...growing up and changing.

 I sort of feel that's where we are as a family right now.

We've grown and our routine has changed and we're smack dab in the middle of the achy time because our minds haven't quite caught up to all this business.

Craig is back to work.

And by back to work, I mean working harder than we imagined. He leaves at 5:30 a.m. and has not made it back by bedtime ( dylan's AND mine) in three days. This leaves my boy a little on edge and it leaves Mommy with two children who need her undivided attention...desperately.

I've worked out the logistics of caring for a newborn and a three year old, we've settled into someehwhat of a routine. But I can't quite fill the void that my rockstar husband leaves behind when he's not around.

I'm not all that good at playing "tackle" since my boobs are loaded water guns. I haven't the strength to throw my 40 pound preschooler in the air or the olympic kenyan marathoner stamina to play outside in 100 degrees of humidity.

So I've battled some tears and some of them have been my own.

Not just for feeling that i'm at this parenting thing alone (i know that's not the case) but b/c I feel LONELY. I miss my work friends and all my other friends. I miss my mom and my dad.

If it weren't for Craig's mother's support, I would be a puddle of post partum sadness.

There are LOTS of bright spots to the day though....like this one:



 

And the fact that when I pick Dylan up at school he asks me " How You Day Mommy?" and when I tell him I managed to clean the bathroom and take a shower he tells me "I'm so proud of you!" with more enthusiasim than you can possibly imagine.

5 comments:

  1. I am also so proud of you! It's not easy being a parent of multiple children. I can relate. I had no relatives helping me, all of my friends lived "away", Wayne worked nutty hours when he was a policeman. But these trying times make you stronger as a parent and as a person. I love you to piece!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an amazing mom, friend, wife, and sister. It is not easy having two children. I can't imagine not having my family around to help me out. It will get easier and it will all be worth it in the end. Stay strong my friend, and know that I am constantly thinking of you. Sending you a big hug! Love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me soooo wish (over and over again) that I was closer to my college girls...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ERIN <3 You are just LOVELY!!! I just felt your heart reading this~ hugs from an old friend.

    ReplyDelete