Sunday, January 1, 2012

Thirty-three. 33. Trienta y tres.

Today is my birthday.

I used to think that having my birthday so soon after christmas and on a holiday was a curse.

But here I am, 33 years later and I now understand how remarkable it is to be born on the first day of a new year. Every January 1st as i turn another year older, the entire world is embarking on a new year as well.

People are putting their best selves forward, making plans, setting goals.

And of course... nursing hangovers.

At 33 I think I am getting to know myself better than ever. I used to not understand when Oprah and other wise women talked about coming into their own when they hit 40. But I think I get it now. Because i'm JUST scratching the surface of who i'm meant to be and I still have 7 years to go until that milestone.

I'm settleing into being a mother. To understanding my value as MORE than a mother, even though I am no longer a working-mother.I have finally come to terms with the concept that there are seasons of life and my season right now is motherhood and supporting my husband and that my season, the one where I am flurishing in my own career and my own passions is yet to come. I'm at peace with that.  Because the reward is seeing my children more than ever, feeling confident in my abilities to mother and love and taking a time-out from the rat-race.

I'm learning to let things roll off my back and to "go with the flow" and enjoy unstructured unplanned moments in life. These are things that are very difficult for me.

I've discovered that my dearest friends are the ones that can weather any form of friendship that I am able to give during this journey. The ebbs and flows of life never put off these true friends. They forgive me and we go about our friendship.  I can pick up the phone or send a text at any time of day and I never have to apologize for why it has been so long. They are treasures to me.

I've realized that my parents know alot. That I still need my mother. And that my father's advice still always sounds the best.

33 years ago i was born in the ice and the snow . The first baby of the year. And here I am 33 years later  in the humid and hot south with babies of my own.

And i'm just where i'm supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment