I was raised Catholic. My parents are Catholics. I went to sunday school. Was baptized, first communion, confessions. We SOMETIMES went to church on non-holidays ( that's an entirely different blog post).
But when I was in 4th grade I asked my Mom why I had to keep going to Sunday School when I didn't really believe in all the stuff they were trying to tell me was true. Like a human being walking on water, adam and eve and that sneaky snake, the resurrection of a dead guy.
I KNEW they were just stories, like Santa Clause.
I will always be thankful that my mother in that moment because she let me make up my own mind. She simply said, "well, you don't have to if you don't want to." Nothing more, no pressure. And I have continued making up my mind about religion since that day.
Sometimes over the years I considered myself Agonstic. Not really willing to commit to a world WITHOUT a supreme being.
But in my early twenties it clicked with me that people really turned to religion because they were scared and didn't want to take responsibility for the unknown, scary, or sad parts of life.
And that's okay. I get it.
But I don't really need that, because I'm okay with not knowing certain things. And I certainly have alot more faith in myself and mankind than a man in the sky who helps football players win football games or kids win american idol. And don't get me started about people who THANK GOD when a a doctor saves their lives....how about thanking the man/woman that went to school for 100 years!!!!
But today we live in the bible belt.
And choosing a school for Dylan that we are happy with means sacrificing a huge belief we have about raising our kids to be skeptics. If we want him to be well educated, we need to choose a religious school.
So here we are with a very bright 3 year old who came home this week with TWO stickers because he was the only kid in the class that could name the 6 days of creation. I incorrectly boasted to his grandparents that he knew the SEVEN days of creation and he set me straight right away.
"NO MOMMY, SIX DAYS!"
I find it amusing , although my husband does not.
But I see alot of value in letting him make up his own mind. We will be honest with him about what we believe but something as personal as religion needs to be belief he works out all on his own.
Friday, February 3, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment