Monday, March 4, 2013

Homemade

A few weeks ago my cousin posted something on facebook about making her own butter.

At first I teased her about being Laura Ingles Wilder from Little House on the Prarie. But then she sent me the link and I started reading about all the things you can make at home for pennies on the dollar and it really started to fascinate me.

And my husband.

Anyone that knows my husband knows that he LOVES to jump on bandwagons and go full throttle.

Like the time we tried "Cooking Once Per Month" when we were a dual working family with a new baby.

 Or the time he wanted to become a power lifter and bulked up like The Rock. 

Or the time he wanted to go to medical school....oh wait, that one was for realz.

Anywhoo we decided to make homemade butter this weekend. As much of a science lesson for Dylan as it was for us. All it takes is a quart of heavy whipping cream and salt and a mixer.



And it is delicious! We go through a LOT of butter in this house. Our children love it and there is nothing yummier than real butter. The homemade version is so fresh tasting and light.

We also made homemade fig newtons. A favorite treat in our house. Those were not a hit. Julia would take a bite and then spit it out and then ask us to scape her tongue

 And Dylan told us we were "being ridiculous" and requested his "old fig newtons" so we may need to take baby steps towards totally homemade goodness but it's a fun journey to be on.

1 comment:

  1. I saw her post about her butter making and I was curious too! I want to try!!

    I think Dylan's right....homemade fig newtons sound ridiculous! But I've had trials and failures in the kitchen when I think I can make things taste better than store bought. My best triumphs usually become family favorites though!

    I've been making laundry detergent and fabric softener since this fall and it's really saving us so much money!

    ReplyDelete