Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Spending Time with Dylan

The choice to go back to work for me, wasn't really a choice. It's rare these days that young couples can afford to have one parent stay at home. I've never envisioned myself being a stay-at-home mom, but I know that if I had the opportunity, I would take it. Actually, i think the perfect scenario is working part-time....but obviously with a husband going to medical school, a move to a southern state and bills bills bills...it's just not an option for The Lenz family.

Although, i will say that my time home on maternity leave was difficult. Not JUST adjusting to a new baby, but being alone, lacking adult conversation, and not feeling valued for my brain ( just my ability to produce copious amounts of milk, rock in a rocking chair, and clean the occasional toilet).

So I work. And, although, like most working mom's i feel the twinge of guilt when I leave in the morning, something my mom has always said to me plays constantly over in my head. "It's the quality of time, not the quantity of time that truly matters. " And its true! My mom and I have the best relationship in the world, even though she worked throughout my childhood and is now many states away in Florida. In fact, our relationship is closer, more open and loving then some whose mother's stayed home with them and now live just a car ride away. I also know there are SAHM out there that sit in front of the television, talk on the phone all day, or explode at their kids because they lack any sort of outlet.

I make the absolute MOST of my time with Dylan. Every minute I'm home is about him (meaning that laundry, cleaning, cooking and all that other stuff might just have to wait). I also know that he is loved and cared for by many adults, which makes his life even richer. And something must be working because he is a thriving, happy, attached to my hip... little baby boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment