Saturday, July 18, 2009

Here Horsey Horsey Horsey!

We've officially been here less than a week and already Dylan has seen more animals than we could have if we took him to the zoo. Rabbits, birds, foxes, raccoons, horses, cows, sheep, deer. Seriously, it's like York Wild Animal Kingdom without the snow cones and death trap rides.

This morning we enjoyed our morning coffee outside on the front porch looking over yonder at the horses frolicking in their paddock next door.

Yes, I said Horses Next Door. Not too be confused with Hef's Girls Next Door, although they may live on the other side, I haven't checked.

We noticed that there were significantly FEWER horses than the day before. In fact, there were only two out of 5 horses left in the field.

"They're probably in the barn." Craig said, feigning equine knowledge. But the remaining horses were pissed off about something. They were galloping back and forth in the field, snorting, NEIGHING. Have you ever actually HEARD a horse neigh? Because I grew up in NH and thought I was country but this morning I realized that i'd never ACTUALLY heard a horse make that sound before.

A few minutes later we noticed that the remaining horses, including the baby horse, a.k.a, FOAL were running around in our neighbors back yard! They had somehow escaped their incredibly lame looking enclosure and were careening around the neighborhood!

Craig, the same Horse Expert from before jumped in our car to "help" the neighbors corral the horses. Since they had a number of Horse Experts already on the scene, including an ACTUAL farmer, he came back like 5 minutes later. It took about a half an hour, but we watched the neighbors and the Farmer as they "ya'd" and "hey'd" the horses back into the same "super secure" field that they had previously escaped.

It was incredibly exciting and surly will make the local paper. And we were first on the scene.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that Dylan gets to see the neighing horses every day! He was born to be a country boy!

    ReplyDelete