Monday, August 10, 2009

How do you define terrified?

Last night, Dylan had a fever. I knew something was wrong because he never ever fusses. I took his temperature and it was 102. I gave him baby motrin and put him to bed and he slept through the night. This morning, his temperature was back, 102. Again we gave him motrin and then later on brought him to the clinic, where he was promptly diagnosed with a ear infection. No big deal, right?

I went back to work and Craig's mom was taking care of him. She put him down for a nap after another dose of motrin but when I got home at 4:30 he was still sleeping...which is not normal. I went upstairs and openend his door and he stood up to see me with tears in his eyes. I picked him up and it was like touching lava. He was BURNING UP, sweating, his pj's were soaked. I put him on the changing table to get him into something else and he was bright red.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, more for my sake than for an answer. He was shivering. As I changed his diaper he cried out and grabbed my arm and then...went ridgid. His eyes rolled back and he ddn't move an inch, his feet pointed out straight.

He was having a seizure.

I scooped him up and ran downstairs yelling for Craig. Dylan was still stiff as a board. Craig's mom grabbed him and went immediately into Nurse mode. She ordered me to get a cold face cloth and Craig to call 911.

The ambulance arrived quickly and took Dylan, with Craig's Dad riding in the back to the nearest hospital ( 20 mins away). Linda drove craig and I in our car. It was the longest drive of my life. When we got to the hospital, after being cooled down his temperature was 104.1 and he was delerious. He didn't recognize us and was singing in a high pitch voice to the burly EMT man who was holding him.

For the next 3 hours my baby boy, 11 months old today, was poked and prodded... they took urine and blood samples, xrays and shot him full of two doses of medicine and antibiotics to finally get the fever down. The diagnosis was that an unknown virus, caused a Febril Seizure and perhaps the ear infection.

I just put him to sleep but I know it will be a long night of waking him to give him tylenol.

1 comment:

  1. OMG. I'm so sorry that I didn't read this earlier in the day today or that I didn't know until now. I am SO sorry. I'm sure you were beyond terrified. It must have been so scary not being in the ambulance with him and not knowing what was going on.

    It's scary being a mom sometimes and no one ever tells you that.

    Is he feeling better today? DId you take the day off to be with him?

    All my love to you guys!!

    ReplyDelete