Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Jesus Music

Today it occurred to me that my baby is no longer a REAL baby. It may have something to do with the fact that he's walking, sort of talking and tomorrow will be his first day at a new "school.”

One of our biggest stresses with moving across the country was finding alternative childcare. Craig’s mom offered to watch Dylan but I want her to be able to be a GRANDPARENT and not necessarily his primary care giver. You can’t spoil the baby AND be in charge of his daily routine! Plus, in my opinion, there is something so enriching for a growing child about changing environments and meeting new caregivers and other children. Children learn by experiencing new things and they learn best by exploring. So the perfect solution, for us, is part-time childcare.

We scoured the internet for information but websites just aren’t something that are high on the priority list for most places here in the rural south. I called government agencies and asked my new “friends” for recommendations and finally “centered on a center” located…..….in a baptist church. My husband was immediately on the defensive about the idea before we even visited. But the problem, I calmly explained to him, is that EVERY childcare facility is located in or affiliated with a church. Newsflash – We. Are. In. The. Bible-Belt!

The center is 6 miles from the house and 4 miles from my work. But that’s REAL time not Massachusetts time, since there aren’t really any other cars on the road! We were MORE than impressed by the facility and teachers (all with early childhood education degrees). They have a curriculum for even the youngest babies and take advantage of the outdoors every day. And the bonus…an entire WEEK costs just over what ONE DAY costs in Massachusetts. So we are able to sign him up FULL time but use it part time and have drop in care whenever we need it!

So it MAY have been a little strange to hear Jesus music in the preschool room or read the policy manual concerning teaching children to live like jesus did….but part of educating a child is letting them learn about everything and eventually letting him make his own decision about what he believes and doesn’t believe. And jesus music never killed anyone. Right?

3 comments:

  1. Here's my theory on daycare. When you drop him off, will you feel 100% certain that he's... safe, being well taken care of, happy, learning, and having fun? If you can say yes to all of that as you're sitting in your office, then it's the right choice. If you're concerned about any of those factors, drop what you're doing, pick him up and get a new daycare.

    I've exposed Sarah to religion. I dropped her off at Sunday school for 3 full years when she told me she wanted to go. When she was asked to be in the Christmas pagent, I went to support her. When she wanted to say 'grace' at dinner, we let her lead the way. She doesn't really have a desire for those things anymore though.

    She's spiritual, but not religious. She knows our beliefs and she thinks that we're crazy. I encourage her to think for herself and form her own opinions but she thinks Wayne and I are going straight to hell.

    Dylan will be just fine! He may some day come home with pictures of Noah's Ark that he colored at daycare....it could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin :) I just read a few of your posts trying to figure out why you were calling it Jesus Care. Too funny. I was raised Irish/Italian Catholic but went to nursery school at the local Temple. Jesus-less care?But it was a fun place and interesting to have school events inside the Temple, etc. Much can be learned for new experiences, and you don't have to buy into all of it. Especially at his age. Glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. guess I wasn't signed in but anonymous was Danielle.

    ReplyDelete