Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Playground Bully.

The weather here has been perfect the last few days. Cool at night with  beautiful warm days. This is in STARK contrast to the absolute SAUNA it has been since we moved here.It had been soooooo hot that trips to the playground consisted of:  getting out of the car, walking to the swing, burning my hand wiping it off, dylan whining in the swing because his little meaty thighs touch the metal...getting back in the car, going home and getting inside air conditioning...all the while, sweating like a pig . Aka. NOT FUN.

But Sunday,  it was wonderful. Dylan and I spent a lazy day walking around the park's track, watching all the church picnics and children frolicking in the green grass and riding their bikes. We watched the skateboarders "shred it" in the skate park area. And then we moseyed over to the playground structure to give it our first "walking toddler" try. There were probably about 10 kids ages 4 - 12 running around on it. The only part I felt comfortable standing with Dylan was on the ground where they had spinning blocks you could play tic-tac-toe with. He was MEZMORIZED by the big kids. They mostly ignored us. Pushing eachother on the tire swing..playing tag and swearing like there wasn't an adult standing there.

Suddenly, I noticed that this 5 year old boy was STARING at dylan and I. He comes over and stands behind the spinning tic-tac-toe board, peeking around at Dylan, who, in my opinion is the epitome of 'little boy cuteness' in his animal jam-shorts, navy blue t-shirt and green bucket hat. dylan looked at him...SO happy that one of the big boys was close enough to touch and gives him the BIGGEST and TOOTHIEST grin you've ever seen.

"Um, Does she have enough Teeth or WHAT?" The 5-year-old-devil-child-playground-bully says, spinning all the tiles to X's.

The mama lion and me wanted to ROAR back. "Um, excuse me you little snotty nosed southern hooligan but HE only has 8 TEETH! And at least he HAS teeth unlike probably your entire Appalachian mountain dwelling - mountain dew drinking- confederate flag waving- CLAN. He just happens to have inherited my giantic mouth and his father's super sized chompers! So now why don't you go back over to the tire swing and spin yourself until you throw up!"

But I refrained, figuring perhaps, berating a 5 year old isn't the best way to make mommy friends at the park.

"He has plenty of teeth, thanks for asking!" is what I manged to say without too much of a sneer.

1 comment:

  1. Hey....I drink mountain dew...hehe...

    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete