Monday, October 5, 2009

Cumberland Gap Fall Festival



 


As a rule, I am all about festivals. The food, the people, the music. I embrace it all.  They're so...festive. That's why I was tittering with anticipation of the Cumberland Gap Fall Festival. Because there isn't a season that I love more than Fall. Back home, up north, this is the weekend I would be awaiting the Sandwich Fair. Where I run into my old friends, eat greasy fair food, check out the arts and crafts barn.  And I was hoping against all hopes that the CGFF would be every bit as wonderful as my beloved fair.

And...well, let's just say the highlight of the festival was the Cumberland Gap Dancers. All 9 women and 1 man took the stage at noon and began what can only be considered as,  country line... swaying. They were moving so incredibly SLOW that you had to almost SQUINT to actually see their feet move.

Oh there were rides, games, food and music. But the rides were rusty, the food homemade by local churches and the music, well I already mentioned the "dancers". We even stumbled upon a "petting zoo" which seemed promising since they had  1 goat, 1 cow and 1 sheep. ( see adorable photo above with Dylan's first goat encounter)

My only regret about leaving an hour after we arrived was that we were unable to enter the raffle...


1st place was a shot gun
2nd place was "pull chains."

There's always next year!


1 comment:

  1. That makes me sad! This week is the beloved Fryeburg Fair. This is our 9th year having a booth there selling garage doors. I love the fair but by the 4th (out of 8) day, I'm usually over it.

    But this year I get to go to my real job every day while Wayne slaves away at the fair. It makes me like it a lot more! I'm trying to stay away from all the bad-for-me food, although I did have italian sausage last night. But I'm sticking to soup because soup is good food!

    I'm sorry your festival was unfun.

    I can't see the first 2 pictures in this post though!

    ReplyDelete