Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Free is never FREE





You know that old adage...nothing in life is "free." It is true.

In fact, it's so true that I might never take advantage of anything "free" again in my lifetime. I'm usually much more practical about these sort of things. I even KNEW it was free day at the Zoo this past Saturday. BUT..i've been REALLY REALLY wanting to take Dylan to the Knoxville Zoo and Craig was off for the weekend from studying ...so we went.

For lack of a better descriptive sentence...the zoo was a zoo.

Since the $17.00 per person charge was waved  for the day by our local grocery giant...Kroger...every man, woman and child in East Tennessee flocked to see the animals. We saw things and people that I can't even describe.

Here are just a few things that we saw on "free day" at the zoo.
  • A grown man repeatedly FLIPPING off his 2 year old daughter for bouncing up and down on the backseat of the car. Yes, she was not in a carseat. 
  • Babies..no...INFANTS drinking bottles of pepsi and mountain dew.
  • Children on leashes...everywhere. ( children on leashes is whole other topic for debate)
  • Adults encouraging their children to throw popcorn at the animals.
  • More mullets and man-tank tops than I've ever seen in my life.
  • Smoking sections...at the ZOO. In fact, i saw more people smoking cigarettes and pushing strollers than I thought possible. Did the news that smoking causes cancer NOT make it down to Tennessee yet?
I have to say though..that we're going to go back. Dylan LOVED the zoo. If the lines to see the animals hadn't of been 30 people deep...we would have seen alot more.

The zebra was his favorite. We would try to leave and he would run back!

 
 We spent alot of the time off roading, since there was no room to walk on the walkways.

 
He wanted to look at every animal for a long time.


We still don't know what this is.





2 comments:

  1. That first picture gives me anxiety! I loathe crowds. I cannot do the Sandwich Fair because it's so tiny and so many people are packed in there. So that section between the food and the rides when you have to cross that bridge and there's only one way in or out...I cannot even bear it.

    I'm so glad that Dylan loved the animals though! Its looks like a fun place to go without all the hordes of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG i know EXACTLY the spot you are talking about at the sandwich fair. The BRIDGE. It's a Nightmare!

    ReplyDelete