Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Name Game.


Stolen post idea from BFF Rebecca...her blog is called BLISS and the link is on the right.

Not too long ago, the husband and I were considering names for our blue bundle. Like every expectant couple we were excited at the opportunity to name a HUMAN. But on top of all the usual name conflicts that arise in the process,  we had a HUGE elephant in the room...and the elephant was called Junior.

My husband IS in fact,  a Junior. A JR. He spent is youth called "CJ" and hearing it today sounds so foreign in my ears. When his family members refer to him as CJ, I look around, hunting for the 5 year old with freckles that they MUST be referring too.

I honestly could not fathom the idea of naming our baby the SAME name. I wanted him to have his own identity.

His own little label in the world.

I like the name, it fits my husband and his father perfectly,  but now that we all live together in the same house, when you yell "CRAIG!" you get 2 answers.

Imagine if there were THREE?

We would have had to resort to using a "nickname" and I honestly HATE on purpose nicknames. Nicknames should be accidental...like "sport", "pumpkin" or "Moose" ( that was my Dad's nickname in highschool). On purpose nicknames like "Trip", "Tre" or calling the kids by his middle name...drive me batty.

What's the point of the NAME if you don't use it!?

So, we had some "discussions" over the course of 9 months. I listed the CONS of mono-nameness...

  • mixed up credit
  • What if we have 2 boys? Is that fair to the kid that doesn't get his dad's name? will we have to be like George foreman?
  • the nickname thing
  • confusion when calling the house
  • the flight thing...( we almost didn't get home once because my husband forgot he booked the flight with his JR and they didn't have him in the database)
He told me that he VALUED being named after his dad. And I felt bad "breaking the tradition".

It wasn't an easy decision...until we thought of the name...DYLAN.

And we decided that Dylan Craig was a wonderful name. A unique name. It seemed to fit the rolling baby in my stomach perfectly.

It honored both a father and a grandfather with class and grace,  but gave the new little human his own identity.

Just enough tradition and specialness rolled into one blue eyed bundle.

1 comment:

  1. E~ I am TOTALLY with you with nicknames. All of our names are nickname free. And I love the name Dylan.

    ReplyDelete