Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hurry Up and Sleep

I haven't slept through the night in over a year.

 Starting around week 6 of my pregnancy I had night sickness. I would wake up in the middle of the night and throw up.

Then second trimester i woke up to pee every 2 hours.

Then third trimester I couldn't move because I was as big as a whale and my hips would fall asleep and I would wake up and think about having a second baby.

Then Julia joined the party and as a newborn ( although she slept well considering she was nursing every 3 hours) it meant interrupted sleep.



I got a few months reprieve when she would sleep until 4 am every night.

But now we are back to sleeplessness.

She falls asleep every night by herself at 6pm and sleeps until 1am when she wakes up hungry. And then again at 3 am to remind me she is still there and then up for the day at 6:30 am.

My memory of Dylan during this time is fuzzy, but I think we suffered through the same thing. The issue is that right now we share a room with our daughter and I would LOVE to let her Cry It Out during the night but that would mean being in the SAME room with a screaming baby.

 Which if you've never experienced it....sucks.

I COULD go to bed at 8pm and get some uninterrupted hours but I LOVE the time post bedtime. It means relaxing, adult conversation, television and peace. And it doesn't take much to put her BACK to sleep. Just a snuggle and a quick nursing session. But I know I am creating bad habits and I am desperate to sleep for 8 hours JUST ONCE. 

I do have SOME hope that she'll figure it out. She's an excellent napper. She can put herself to sleep and her brother is an awesome sleeper and we never did anything but consistently put him to bed at the same time each night.

So in the meantime. I will continue sleeping in 3 hour chunks and dream about the time I will once again sleep.

1 comment:

  1. That totally stinks! I feel your pain, and I admit that I do not miss sleepless nights at all!!!!

    ReplyDelete