I've always believed the job of a parent is to raise independent adults who contribute positively to society and find happiness in their lives. I want my kids to figure out things on their own, see the world, and be kind to everyone around them.
So why is it so hard to let my 3.5 year old do anything by himself?
My husband and I are making a very conscious effort to give Dylan more autonomy. It's something I really try to do a lot and actually, I'm forced to do now because with two kiddos, he simply can't have the same level of attention he used to have from me.
My husband on the other hand, should really have been named Nervous H. Nelly. Because the thought of letting Dylan do anything alone gives him an upset stomach. This morning he actually chided me for using the BATHROOM while the kids were playing nicely together in a baby proofed room.
"I HAD TO PEE!" I exclaimed!
"They're okay in there...alone?" he asked. ( insert eye roll here)
Last night the fledgeling doc had to work (sports physicals at a high-school).
So that meant I was on my own for the witching hour-bedtime routine. Since Julia has decided she WILL kill her bird mobile it wasn't long before she had pulled it down and broke it in half as Dylan and I watched from the video monitor while simultaneously trying to get Dylan to put on his pajamas.
Since Julia needed me, lest she actually devour a cotton bird, I put Dylan in charge of getting his own glass of water and waiting for me in his room. (Really, i thought at least it would keep him busy while I gave J a quick cuddle and cleared the birdy shrapnel)
I was AMAZED to come out and find my little guy sitting patiently on his bed ( only a little wet) holding his fresh glass of water from the kitchen. I beamed with pride.
And this morning, he picked out his own outfit ( no input at all from me).
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



It's hard giving them room to make mistakes, even though you know its the right thing to do. Craig needs to take a deep breath and roll with it!
ReplyDelete