Friday, April 12, 2013

Communicate

Having both a girl and a boy has really helped me understand some of the root differences of both sexes.

Girls and boys are different. 

Fundamentally. 

And while I agree that a significant portion is societal influence, I do believe that girls and boys develop and acquire skills equally but differently.  

Dylan knew so many words before he was 2 that I kept a spreadsheet. We watch videos of him at very young and he knew all his colors and animal sounds spot on.

Julia's understanding and communication of emotion is SO deep that I honestly can't believe she's only 21 months. She can watch a movie and literally grasp what's happening. In the opening scene of Nemo when the mommy fish is eaten she turned to me and said
'
"Choral, All Gone?" I told her yes, and she said "Sad"

Dylan liked to matter-of -factly tell me what everything was in his environment. "Tree!" "Fire Truck!" "Tractor!"

 Julia likes to tell me stories about things that happen to her. Over and over. 

Yesterday, a lady bug landed on her shoe. This small occurrence in her little life resulted in us exchanging the same conversation over and over the entire day. Every time a new person came home, (daddy, Dylan) we had to retell the story.



And I don't think these differences are isolated to my kids. I think that girls learn from a very early age how to emotionally connect through communication. While boys learn to convey information.

Sorry I"m being a developmental geek today.

Here's a cute baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment