Sunday, July 7, 2013

Settled-ish

I know it's been awhile. I've been so unsettled and out of routine that I haven't been able to formulate sentences, let alone WRITE them.

But now we are into a routine of sorts. Settled-ish.

Dr.Husband has begun the grueling days of OB/GYN residency. His first month is mostly nights.

That's 5:30pm-9:00am.

 He comes home haggard and barely awake. Has breakfast and climbs into bed, asleep before his head hits the pillow. He sleeps until 230ish and the cylce begins again.

Although Night Float is hard on him, it's actually nice for the kids because they get some quality Daddy time in the afternoon before he leaves again.

For me, adjusting to being the one that locks the doors and turns out all the lights has been difficult. The first few nights I was staying up VERY LATE, almost as if I was vicariously working at night too! And every sound in the house felt like my responsibility to find the origin.

 But making the bed in the morning is easy, as I barely rumple the covers on my own.

As for the kiddos, we've managed to create our own schedule. In fact, we wrote one out together.

I found that Dylan was missing the structure of school, he craved order and routine. So we devised our own.

It starts with swimming lessons in the morning, outside play, lunch, nap and ends with one project/craft/science lesson a day. Pinterest is my new best friend.





 But I find that I love the schedule too.





1 comment:

  1. I am with Dylan, I love routines! Happy to have you back on the grid. I have been missing you!

    ReplyDelete