Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sad Face :(

I'm actually really sad about Jon and Kate + 8. I know that most people feel that "reality tv" isn't REAL but in this case, I truly believe that we are watching a family fall apart.

As a child, divorce used to puzzle me. While my family seemed "normal", the older I became, the more I realized we were really anything but! On the playground, while interacting with kids I would say I had a brother and two sisters but as children probed..."How old are they?" it became clear that my siblings were not like their siblings. The more I explained the story about "their Mom" vs. "my mom" the more I resented not having a normal set up. I dreaded the "Oh, they're your STEP siblings." I hate that word. In my opinion, siblings are siblings, especially when they are all you've ever known.

Somewhere around age 14, I decided that I would no longer explain the situation about my family, unless pushed. When asked about siblings, I just said " I have a brother and two sisters." I didn't even flinch when I was asked how old they are. I just stared down the asker, daring them to probe me for more information.

The issue with this is that I had it easy in the "explanation" department. MY mom and dad are married, they love eachother and a stable family is all I've ever known. My siblings, however, had a completely different life and therefore, have an entirely different story to tell. So I wonder what will become of the little Gosselin 8. Their story is being played out infront of everyone. They won't EVER beable to pretend it's any different than it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment