I think he was just TWO. He really had no idea what to make of the elf. So we played along but my heart wasn't in it. I don't think he even noticed him.
At THREE he became more engaged and we were able to really name our elf. He chose Russell. I think, because at the time he was watching UP and that was a name we heard alot. It should come as no surprise for anyone that knows Dylan that he chose such a boring serious name. He is a very serious little guy.
Now, at FOUR. We are fully emersed in this holiday and Russell has pretty much taken the place as Dylan's favorite thing in the world. He looks forward to his arrival each morning SO MUCH.
And he desperately belives in Russell's magic.
( For those of you that don't know, if you touch your elf he loses his magic). So when Dylan accidently bumped him a few days ago he broke down into a terrible cry. Almost complete wailing because he just knew he had caused Russell to lose his magic.
We decided to ease up on this rule, because it was causing him LOTS of anxiety. So now we are allowed to POKE the elf, just not pick him up.
Dylan's belief in this magic elf has certainly brough back the magic of christmas for me. It is so exciting to create this experience for him.
This was also the first year that Dylan ever sat on Santa's lap and even told him what he wanted. This took A LOT of courage but it was completely up to him. He decided totally on his own.
And his thought process went from:
"Mommy, I think I will touch Santa's coat this year."
to
"Mommy, I think I will sit on his lap but not talk to him"
to
"Mommy, it's OUR TURN! Let's GO!"


No comments:
Post a Comment