Wednesday, December 19, 2012

When he grows up....

When Dylan grows up he wants to be a doctor.

Or a policeman.

Or a jet pilot.

Or sometimes a construction worker ( when we drive by a shopping center being built).

He wants to be a doctor so he can take care of people like daddy.

He wants to be a police officer, so he can drive fast and not get a ticket.

He has his reasons for every life ambition.

One time he asked me what I was going to be when I grew up. I told him I"m doing it.

I love to hear what is going on inside his little head. He usually opens up the most in the 5 minutes before bed.

After stories. With the light turned out. He pours his little heart out to me.

That's when I find out about his friends at school. Who's been naughty. Who's been a bully when they play outside.

And last-night, as I listened to him tell me about his role in the Christmas play on Thursday, ( a Shepard), I could NOT help but think of the 20 mother's and fathers from Newtown that were never going to hear those stories again.

It breaks my heart in a million pieces and angers me to no end.

But it DOES help me realize that every bedtime moment is something to savor, not rush, and I will look forward to it every single day. Because I CAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment